Blueberry Rhubarb Pi
Yes, darlings. Pi. Π. As in math. Or maths, if you’re of the British persuasion. Maybe even Australian. I don’t know what y’all call the numbers game down there. What I do know is that blue-violet rayon + raspberry-rhubarb Petersham + 1/2 circle skirt makes for lovely sewing. And spinning. Lots and lots of spinning. Although I’ve been limping on a hurt foot since Tuesday, unable to go to boot camp or run, I HAD to whirl. In a few days I’ll even give her a jump.
I am so very glad I didn’t rush into this skirt the night before holiday. I was tempted to cut into the challis, ditching my plans for a circle skirt (no time to let it hang pre-hemming) and make a dirndl in its place. Reason got the better of me, and upon return, I set to work mocking up a 1/2 circle skirt template. Previously, I’d made a 3/4 template, yet discovered there wasn’t enough of this fabric in my stash. Which worked out lovely, if I do say so. Up until now, I’ve shied away from circle skirts, thinking they’d be rather unflattering on me. The last time I wore one was in roughly 5th grade, when I begged my mom to make me a poodle skirt and buy me saddle shoes.
Now, I’m totally sold. For me, the key is the 1/2 circle. It’s just enough fabric for flippy fun, and not too much to weigh me down. My initial plan for this fabric, if you recall, was a “short, flippy skirt”. I kept it a little modest, but will definitely be making a shorter version. However, I’ll move down to a 1/4 circle skirt then, so that simply walking down the street doesn’t give everyone I pass a piece of the pie.
These are so freaking easy to make, guys. Seriously. The hardest part is the patience required in waiting for the bias to stretch out. And then the patience required for marking an even hem. Luckily, the skirt had hung for several days by last weekend, when my mom visited. I put her to work, yes I did. Hey, it was Father’s Day!
I’m not going to bore you with another circle skirt tutorial. Here’s where I took off from. You’ll notice my lovely exposed zip, from the hoard I stole from that same mom. (I steal from her AND I put her to work. It’s okay, I repay her in foot massages.) That design element is actually a retrofit. See, I didn’t think about needing, you know, seam allowances for the center back. My math was so dead on for the waist, and I need to save room for pie, so I just did what any clever seamster does, and showed my metal (teeth).
Ages ago I’d picked up some Petersham from Sunni, and the red went into my purple Clovers. The rhubarb (plum in the shop) has been ripening for this skirt. Again, why mess with a solid tutorial? If that isn’t straightforward enough, pre-shrink your ribbon, press & stretch along lower edge, stitch to lining (in my case, silk habotai), stitch to skirt, stitch together.
If I told you I’m off to bake a pie, my nose would grow three feet. It’s too hot for that business. I love the weather, but our apartment has one window unit, in the opposite corner from the kitchen. Bake in 100°? I think I’ll pour myself a tall one. With a rhubarb swizzle. And a blueberry garnish. With one twirl for good measure.
Have a lovely weekend, and I’ll be catching up with you :) It’s the second day of summer, and I’m pretty psyched that I’ve stuck with my sewing plan pretty well so far. I’m working on the Jean-ius class now, have a swimsuit to make, the HP top and the Siren sundress (spell check really wants that to read “undress”!). I’d also like to use the pattern I draft from Jean-ius to redo my Clovers. And the red bra kit I’ve had for months. BUT…. I’ve ticked off two Renfrews, a Taffy, a motorcycle jacket, and two Simplicity dresses (one was a change of pattern from my original plan, due to the blog hop).