I imported these photos into wordpress before traveling to see my family for a long weekend, but there was simply too much going on to write a post. So, without further ado, here’s le Taffy. Yeah, there was a little saltwater involved in the making, concerning the serged rolled hem I wanted to use on the sleeves. But it all worked out in the end.
My photos aren’t the best, so please excuse the seat belt wrinkles. While searching for a video of Speeding Motorcycle, I discovered that Daniel Johnston was playing an upcoming show in a southern NH town. Holy crap! It was fan-freaking-tastic, and well worth the drive. The opera house was quite small, and we were able to sit front and center. Great, great evening. I haven’t had time to take proper photos in this since.
The muslin I made, in that ubiquitous black & white poly from the bolt that keeps on giving, has a divine serged rolled hem on both the sleeves and bodice. It’s slightly heavier than the chiffon I used for my final garment, which kept getting masticated like a big ol’ hunk of boardwalk candy. Very frustrating, because the same fabric, different color, was used for this blouse, and all was well in serger land. In fact, the SRH on that blouse is the best part of it. Ah, well. I employed some tactics that might have you raising an eyebrow. But I wanted a serged sleeve, and I wanted it now.
From the get-go, I used Sullivans spray stabilizer to stiffen the chiffon a bit. Sometimes I use the tissue paper method for cutting, but I’ve been loving the Sullivans of late. When my practice throws ended up as fails, a stroll down the internet boardwalk found me happy to lay my money down on a vendor hawking this ware. So what if it’s the equivalent cooking steak in the microwave, then smothering it with ketchup? This stuff worked. I cut it into small strips, carefully pressed in sections without distorting the sleeve, then serged away. (Practiced on scrap first. Duh.) The first rinse admittedly left the fabric a bit stiff, but after a hand wash in shampoo, ocean breezes were floating those crazy sleeves up, up, up.
My sister was gifted the muslin version. This is a straight 6, and for my final version I extended the darts an inch, used size 4 side seams, size 6 length, and took out an inch wedge along the neckline. It’s basically the same dart that Oona used in her final version, only I took it out of the pattern. What’s up with that huge neckline? I was hoping it would work on my sister, and it mostly did. She’s a little more well-endowed than I am, so the neckline isn’t as big of an issue.
Though my weekend trip wasn’t exactly a vacation to the shore, I did discover a cute addition to a town that needs some revitalization. One Stitch, Two Stitch is a lovely, organized and spacious quilting shop & sewing studio with friendly owners, high-quality fabric, and ginormous cutting tables. They were even running their first garment sewing night on Friday, but I wasn’t able to make it. A small selection of wool coating and silk/cotton blends was nestled amongst the bolts. If you ever find yourself in a small northern NH town, pop in.
I’ve made quite a bit of progress on my Spring/Summer sewing list, even with the Simplicity diversion. If I hadn’t needed to do some family stuff, my sewing schedule could have been rearranged so that the 1940s Siren sundress was completed for this week’s Sew Weekly challenge. But the family stuff really needed doing. And I really need to make some jeans before I make another dress. In a bad way.