Self Stitched September – week 4
Let’s start off by me writing and you reading that I am not feeling very articulate today. I’m loopy, feel like I’ve been on an all-night study bender for two weeks straight. How did I survive college? There’s no real reason for this queasy, spaced out state I’m in. Oh, wait… the Sewing Summit is this weekend! I have loads I want to finish up before I hop on that flight west. I’ll actually stick to a lesson learned this time, and not attempt to cram it all in & end up with projects I would be ashamed to wear.
One thing at a time, so let’s knock this recap out, shall we? It’s a day late, but who’s counting.
Spotted shopping at Trader Joe’s after work, sporting a JJ and wishing I’d picked up some Joe-Joe’s.
9.27.11 Didn’t snag a new photo, but I had this exact outfit on, down to the necklace that I made of aqua pearls and graphite & persimmon Swarovski crystals. This print is so distinctive that I feel I shouldn’t wear it too often, despite my desire to live in it.
The Wednesday flickr challenge was to take a night shot. I knew once I slogged home on the T after sewing club, that going back out for a photo shoot was out of the question. Instead, R graciously came to pick me up, and we spotted this entry down the block from Grey’s. When we’re feeling ambitious, I might drag R back to this spot for a proper shoot with a proper camera. But I do have a soft spot for this Hipstamatic photo. I’m wearing my high-waisted denim pencil skirt, a belt from Goodwill and a thrifted blouse that R gave me back when we were just pals. (He had me at “I picked this up for you at Goodwill.”) I wish the shoes were visible…ah well.
I wasn’t feeling it today. Almost wore a skirt that I made too long ago, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. The fabric is gorgeous, but it is so ill-fitted. I’ll have to do a blog post about it, show off my past crimes of fashion & sewing misdemeanors. What I am wearing that is hand made are the earrings. The cardi is vintage, the tee Target.
My big reveal/go out with a bang was going to be the Rooibos. Just. Couldn’t. Finish. Instead, I took some color combo inspiration from a fellow SSSer on flickr, and opted for the copper? mini, paired with an aqua thrifted sweater, butterscotch amber necklace & Miss Sixty shoes. I love those shoes, but they’re a tad tight, and the rubber heel is worn down to metal. Dangerous, kittens!
And that’s it. SSS is over. I will definitely participate the next time a self-stitched/me-made month rolls around. And hopefully my wardrobe gaps will be filled in. It’s been fabulously inspiring to see what people around the world are making and wearing on a daily basis.
- Stop sewing orphans. They’re colorful & fun, but a closet full of items that aren’t interchangeable makes life difficult at times.
- I remember telling someone recently that I have so much black, red and grey, and that I really need to start mixing it up. Am I blind?
- I really need to sew more tops.
- And trousers.
- And items that I can wear my cowboy boots with. It hurts us to go an entire month without pulling on a pair of reptile & cow goodness. (Vegans, don’t judge.)
- Show & tell of undocumented projects is fabulous for evaluation of progress, learning to let go of items we’re still connected to sentimentally, and flat out funny. It’s nice to see how far you’ve come, get new perspective on what you know and what you thought you knew.
- I dress much more professionally when there are photos involved.