I made this ages ago as the June addition to my Garmnet-a-Month project. I’ve worn it half a dozen times, and finally decided I should take a few photos before throwing it in the wash. Classy, right. I just didn’t want any weird seam shifting to occur, despite pre-washing and being pretty diligent about cutting the grain correctly. So I finally snapped a few shots in the office bathroom…even classier. (Hey, at least I’m not chatting on the phone. In the stall. Eeew!)
It’s made from an organic cotton t-shirt weight jersey, and was really intended as a wearable muslin for the Karen cardigan. But I’m def glad I went with this first, before splurging and cutting into some fine wool. I just don’t think this is right for me…seems a bit frumpy. Damn hips. I sized down two, maybe three sizes and added a few inches to the sleeves.
I also added black twill tape to the neck/shoulder seams to prevent sagging. I’m sure there’s a proper way to accomplish this, but I simply sewed a straight stitch. The edges are left raw – jersey won’t fray – but I did add a small, zig zag about 3/8″ in, all around. If I do make this in a nicer fabric, I’ll sew the back neck the reverse of the instructions. As-is, the jersey naturally curls to the outside, and I don’t like that seam visible.
Maybe it’s because this isn’t a super-slinky textile, but it just doesn’t seem to flatter my figure. I just came across smurfette2010‘s cardi, and I think this more structured garment is better suited to my proportions. Live and learn. Still fine to throw on when the a/c is cranking so high in the summer I’m tempted to bring in a space heater.
Organic cotton jersey, twill tape, serged seams