My waxed canvas jacket is coming along nicely, if slowly. I had wanted to finish it for this week’s Sew Weekly challenge, the spring sewing palette. Yesterday’s visit to the deCordova museum and sculpture garden was going to be the perfect photo opportunity, as well. Indecision, followed by a minor flub, has left me waiting for a little bubble mailer to arrive so that I can continue.
Remember when I said I’d forgo the sleeve zips on the final jacket, and that part of the reason was cost? See, I was having an existential sewing moment. We all get them from time to time. In life and in sewing, I can be so quick to come to a decision. Spontaneous. An instant assessment, and let’s go. That’s how I determined waxed canvas would be the perfect textile for my jacket to begin with, despite expert advice tsking me otherwise. (I link to that book often because it really is a gem in the library.) However, then come moments where I sit. And think. Over every option. Shall I topstitch the princess seams? In a featherstitch? If any stitching is used, shall it be only on the side panels? Or at each adjoining seam? Will this add to the jacket, or take away from it? Will it look too busy, or retain the polished minimalism and tough ‘tude I’m going for? To get out of my head, I decided to look up a few examples of motorcycle jackets.
It’s not just a motorcycle jacket. But a waxed canvas motorcycle jacket. Going for $450. Open new tab. Two YKK Excella zips in nickel, cut to size, add to cart. Buy now. Confirm. Because I’m making that mofo jacket, y’all. For a fraction. And it’s hott. I swear when I get excited about shit. (I swear anyway.)
Also, you know what zipped the deal? I remembered that I once owned a real life leather motorcycle jacket, it all comes down to placement. See, I wasn’t just being a tightwad. The sleeve zips on the pattern seemed extraneous and awkward, and aren’t exposed like I wanted. And this is because they are set in the seam. Seam zips don’t lend themselves to being exposed, and the seams are in a position that is difficult to reach. Especially if you’re zipping up and hopping on your ride. Or need to adjust your zip while speeding along. Not that I have a bike, which is why I sold my jacket. But I have my motorcycle license, and will have a bike some day. Because this is intended to be a lasting piece, it had better be versatile and functional. And hott.
So that is the delay, waiting on the two extra zippers to arrive. Here is the flub:
Hilarious, no?! Check out that upside down pocket. That has been stitched, slit open, flipped inside, basted open, basted to zipper, sewn to zipper. I am so rad. And this was after I had to enlarge the opening, and therefore pocket bag, post-slashing. My zips were perfectly cut to length, but the width and chunky pull called for just a smidge all around. As there wasn’t a lot of SA at the top and bottom of the bag, I drafted replacements. And carefully attached them to the already slashed jacket. One of them, upside down. Ry suggested I just tack on a piece, but that wouldn’t do. Nobody would see it, but I’d know. I’d feel it in my pocket, and the seam would likely stress over time. So I did the right thing, put my thing down, flipped it, reversed it.
The new exposed zip openings are ready and waiting. I’ve moved them to fall by my thumbs instead of the outer/back side of my wrists.